Lease to Contract Transition
Each year, we conduct a renewal process for students desiring to stay at Baity Hill for the upcoming year. The application for that process will launch on Friday, February 18, 2022 at the MyHousing portal.
As we approach this process for the 2022-2023 academic year, we wanted to make you aware of two changes that we are implementing:
- We are transitioning from a lease to a housing contract. This transition does not fundamentally change any of the community rules or expectations, a contract does allow different processes so we can better support you and other residents. One of the primary reasons for the change is driven by the changing population at Baity Hill. In the last three years, the number of student families has declined significantly resulting in a growing number of graduate students who are renting by the bedroom. The latter now makes up 83% of the community. This shift in demographics means that our residents are dealing with different issues (roommate challenges, noise issues, and other behavior-related concerns) that are more easily managed by a housing contract so that we can continue to provide a more supportive environment for all residents to achieve academic success. The population change has also resulted in more cancellations by applicants throughout the application cycle as students search for a new residence in Chapel Hill. Please review section 6 of the contract for changes in cancellation penalties. We have attached the Baity Hill contract to this email for you to review prior to the annual renewal process. We will also be offering several virtual Town Halls to current residents to answer any questions you may have.
- Rather than paying monthly rent to Carolina Housing, we are moving the rent collection function to the Cashier’s Office. As part of this change, your monthly rent will be consolidated and post to your student account as fall semester, spring semester and summer charges. We recognize that paying a full semester’s rent in one lump sum may be challenging for many of you. To avoid this, the Cashier’s Office will create a deferment contract for you that will allow you to pay your rent in monthly installments throughout the semester even though it will post to your account in one sum per semester. There is no additional fee to pay monthly using the deferment contract. This transition allows you to view all of your academic and housing costs in one centralized location.
Town Hall Dates and Times
Town Hall will be virtual Zoom sessions. We will be answering questions about the transition to a contract and the contract renewal process.
Dates & Times
- Thursday, February 17 @ 12pm
- Monday, February 21 @ 5:30pm
Thank you for your continued interest in living at Baity Hill!
2022-2023 Contract Renewal
The application for contract renewal will open February 18th, 2022 via the MyHousing Portal.
- Contract Renewal Deadline - March 31, 2022
- Intent to Vacate Form Deadline - March 31, 2022
For more information about the Baity Hill Contract and how to apply visit our How to Apply website page.